Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Introducing Peter O'Grady


Hi, my name is Peter O’Grady, I’m from Kilkenny and I’m training to be a Tri-athlete! This is where I would normally hear my friends or family spit out there drinks in a mixture of shock, horror but mostly amusement! I swim like a wounded wildebeest, have never owned a bike and running to me is some thing colours do in the wash! Don’t get me wrong I do love and have always been involved with sport but the nearest I’ve been to an endurance sport was representing Microsoft in a 27 hole playoff for the O’Callaghan cup against Oracle! J Well how I got into this is down to Barry O Sullivan, he gave an inspirational speech in the wee hours after a MS pub quiz in McSorleys. He told me about how much of a life changing experience it was and how much you learnt about yourself, this combined with a skin full of coronas and before I knew it I was signing on the dotted line! And in the cold light of day what arrived arm in arm with my hangover was the realisation of the task that lay before me! But at least I was now part of a team and what a team! J The Crumlin 09 Triathlon team are a great group of people and are making this experience more enjoyable then I could ever have imagined.

Of course the real motivation and reason that any of us are putting in the hours of swimming countless lengths, saddle sores and knee breaking pounding on treadmills is in an attempt to raise money for the Children’s Medical Research Foundation (CMRF). I honestly had never really done anything for charity before bar contributing some money towards other peoples efforts. I saw this as an opportunity to change that and to help some people less fortunate then myself. Raising this amount of money for Crumlin is the main goal, and that is where we need your help. I will complete the Chicago triathlon even if it involves floating, pushing the bike and crawling the last few miles… this money however will allow the kids in Crumlin achieve the goal of a better life and that is something we can all be proud to have played a part in!

No comments:

Post a Comment